Useful information


Language Requirements

The courses for exchange students are offered in English and German. You need to have good knowledge of the English/German language to follow lectures, prepare papers and presentations and take examinations. If you have sufficient knowledge of the Polish language, you can choose among programs offered in Polish.

Polish Language Courses

The University offers free Polish language courses for the exchange students. The courses are provided during each semester and have two levels for the student to choose: beginners and intermediate. The course content will also help you to get acquainted with the Polish culture.

Orientation Days

We recommend that all ERASMUS students participate in the Orientation Week which starts at the beginning of each semester, in October and mid-February. The aim of the orientation days is to help new incoming to adapt to the new environment, get to know the university, the city and also meet new students. 


Medical insurance is obligatory for all foreign students. To be eligible for public medical services during your stay in Poland, please bring your European Health Insurance Card (non UE students - an insurance from your home country).

Students from European Union:

The best for you is the European Health Insurance Card. This is the only type of international insurance which will be respected in Polish public medical facilities. This Insurance has to be in a form of "plastic card" only then it will be valid. The image of this card you can see below.

Non - European Union Students

You must enquire in your country what type of insurance will be the best during your stay in Poland. The most comfortable option will be this kind of insurance which will allow you to get a refund for medical treatment.

Please make sure to settle the insurance matter, it is very important and it will prevent you from additional costs.

If you don't have an insurance you will have to pay for a visit with a general practitioner approximately 70 zł.

Residence Permit

Please be prepared that at the beginning of your stay in Poland you have to obtain a Residence Permit. The Residence Permit is issued for one year. Your student guide will help you with the procedure.

With regard to the Residence Permit, please remember to take with you to Poland the following documents:

Detailed information concerning resident permit will be given at the Orientation Days.

EU citizens

Passport or Identity Card

There are no longer any frontier controls at the borders between 22 EU countries. This is thanks to the Schengen rules which are part of EU law. These rules remove all internal border controls but put in place effective controls at the external borders of the EU and introduce a common visa policy. All EU countries are full Schengen members except for Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom. Iceland, Norway and Switzerland are also Schengen members but are not in the EU

You will therefore need to present a valid passport or ID card when travelling to the five non-Schengen countries and when entering or leaving the EU at the external borders.

Carry them when travelling in the EU because they may be required for identification or security purposes. Be aware that the only valid ID is the one obtained from national authorities.


You will not need a visa for travelling within the EU

non-EU citizens


You will need a valid passport


If your visa is from a country fully applying the Schengen rules, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. Moreover, if you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa. You may need a national visa to visit non-Schengen countries. Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket. For the precise requirements contact the local consular services of the EU country in question.

You are allowed to travel around Europe (Schengen area) as long as your visa is valid. Additional documents are not required.


During Orientation Days a Student's Card will be given to you - a useful document that provides lots of discounts for Students and much more. Please remember to enclose photo to your Application Form so we can issue your Student's card before your arrivalUsing your Student's Card as a Tram/Bus Ticket


What is the Wrocław URBANCARD?

The Wrocław Urban card is a convenient, multipurpose carrier of electronic services and products in a prepaid card format. From May 2010, the Wrocław Urban Transportation System's tickets are encoded on the card. Benefits for URBANCARD users include e.g. an option to reclaim the ticket in the case the card is stolen or lost, wide availability of electronic ticket vending points, easy and convenient use, transaction security, multipurpose nature and durability of the card, as well as an option to implement new services supported by the card.

Student Information

An Electronic Student Card that exists in the URBANCARD system may have electronic municipal transportation tickets encoded on it. Tickets may be encoded at Ticket Sales Points and in ticket vending machines. A new Student Service Point accepts applications and enters the Electronic Student Cards into the URBANCARD system.

Student Service Point ul. Grabiszyńska 9 53-501 Wrocław

Precise information how to use your Student's Card as a electronic ticket available on:

How to get to Wrocław

Wroclaw has its international airport with direct flights from Frankfurt, Munich, Copenhagen, London, Dublin, Nottingham East Midlands, and Warsaw (more information on:

If you plan to access Wroclaw by train you should get off at Wroclaw Glowny Station. You can also get to Wroclaw by one of the international coaches arriving at Dworzec PKS (Central Coach Station). Both Wroclaw Glowny Station and Dworzec PKS are close to the Wroclaw University of Economics' campus.

Local transportion

You can use buses and trams for travelling around Wroclaw. The student card gives you 50% discount on public transportation. A single ticket is valid for one entrance to a bus or a tram and costs 1,5 PLN.


The currency in Poland is Polish zloty (PLN). 1 EUR corresponds approximately to 4,14 PLN.


Monday to Friday Shops are open from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m. (groceries) and from 10 a.m. to 6 - 7 p.m. (other shops). Shopping malls and supermarkets stay open until 10 p.m.

Saturday Some groceries and other shops could be open until 3 p.m. only. Shopping malls and supermarkets close at 10 p.m.

Sunday Some small and medium shops could be closed on Sundays. Shopping malls and supermarkets are open until at 9 p.m.

Public holidays Most shops are closed.


Smoking indoors is prohibited, both in the city and at the campus. At restaurants and cafés, smoking is usually allowed in special sections.

Approximate Living Costs per Month

Accommodation 682-341 PLN

Food: 400 PLN

Local travel card: 39-34 PLN

Books: most of the books are available at the University's Library, but it is possible that you will have to spend approximately 200-250 PLN per semester for additional reference books.

Important Telephones:

Ambulance: 999

Fire Brigade: 998

Police: 997

© 2014 Wrocław University of Economics
Our site uses cookies.
Read how to disable cookies. I understand